Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Phenomenological perspective and its relation to the significant events in my life




The phenomenological perspective has three basic key concepts phenomenology, existentialism, and humanistic. Historically, the phenomenological can be traced to Wilhelm Wundt who is often considered as the first formal psychological research in the 1870’s. Wundt had people “introspect” that is concentrate on and report on subjective experience. Introspection was seen as lacking in scientific rigour and as not having any particular application, then psychoanalysis which emphasized the unconscious mind came along and become more dominant.
The perspective sees humankind as intrinsically good and self- perfecting. People are seen as growing and evolving naturally towards great beauty and completeness. This is a very optimistic perspective that focuses of people’s perspective.
There are many themes and assumptions underlying perspectives –
We have immense potential,
Once we provide a nurturing inner and outer environment, growth towards our higher selves occurs naturally.
Phenomenology means “subjective the experience of individuals.”

As we view the world from our own perspective and the subjective experience of reality is essential. We all should exercise free will. They regret over past instances and believe that the problems are insurmountable. When people lose sight of free will, they themselves overshadow their potential for growth, maturity and most of all change.

I had a radical personality change in high school and it was during that phase that many significant events took place in my life.
It was eight grade when I won an international award. My parents as usual were encouraging me to improve on my art skills and the teacher who came to teach me gave me an opportunity to send my painting to Delhi for an international competition. It was my decision to participate in it and so I started of with my painting. The first time I sent them a painting they did not reply but the following year I decided that I would make a better painting. My parents expected me to give up but I proved them wrong. I sent a better painting to them and it got selected. I was awarded an international silver medal. It was the first significant event according to me, where I defined myself beyond my parent’s expectations.
One achievement gave me a label of an artist in my school. I was the only person selected to go to a workshop to “NID” the best institute of art in India. I decided to take up the opportunity and go away from home for half a month to learn more. My parents were taken aback because I was being sent to an institution where people die to go to. It was one time when I used my free will and that helped me make other decisions without hesitating, without my parents having a say in it.

I normally do things and get involved in things without letting my parents know and they are least expectant of those things. It was after my final board exams and I had absolutely nothing to do. I read an article in the “Times Of India” for young journalism thing. I thought I should try for it, so I send them my write –up regardless of their reply.
After two weeks I got called for being a young journalist .I had to work with eight other people of my age and design four whole pages of the best paper in India.
I worked for the “Times of India” for a whole month, took interviews of politicians and many social workers. I was in the papers next month as young journalist. Again I used my free will and surprised my parents.

The last time that I took a big decision listening to my free will was to come to KODI. My parents supported me as I had proved my free will to be the best for me. I am still working on something in order to surprise my parents.
Listening to free will and the ability of an individual to do according to your free will depends on their parents especially during childhood. If my parents would have stopped me from doing things that I wanted to do, I would have never realized my potential. One incident when I actually did according to my free will turned out to be beneficiary for me changed my attitude to various things and built my confidence. I changed from a suppressed person to a person with self-belief. Now if I have to make a decision myself I will listen to my free will because I think I have the strength to bear the consequences of my actions. I believe in me as I was never stopped from doing that.
Sources cited-

No comments: