Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A personal reflective journal on Erickson’s psychosocial stages.


TRUST V/S MISTRUST

This stage occurs between the time of birth and one year of age. It is quite similar to what Freud says in his psychosexual stages. Children develop trust depending on the quality of treatment given to them by their caregivers. It is the most important stage in a child’s life and if a child is not given enough attention, or the caregivers are emotionally unavailable, then the children fail to trust the people in the world thinking that they are unpredictable and inconsistent.
In my case I was given full attention by my mother and father. As I was their first child I was bound to be given special attention. But some how I don’t trust people easily unless I know them very well. It is may be because I have learnt to reason and be sensible enough as I grew older.

AUTONOMY vs. SHAME AND DOUBT

A child develops self control over various things like clothing selection and food. If parents help their children and guide them gradually and firmly, praise and accept attempts to be independent, autonomy develops. This helps the children build up self-esteem. If parents are too strict and demanding with the children, then the children will tend to experience extreme doubt and shame. They will grow up to engage in neurotic ways to regain feelings of competency and power. If the children are let loose without any restrictions or limitations then they become impulsive and fail to gain any shame and doubt.
My parents would always encourage me to be independent in doing everything from minor things to making decisions. But they also taught me where I should draw the line in case of many situations. This helped me think ten times before I take a step and also helps me make decisions which prove to be beneficiary for me. My parents encouraged me to be independent and this made be slightly mature for my age but that didn’t do anything wrong to me but helped in many cases.


INITIATIVE V/S GUILT


During preschool years, children begin to socially interact. The children who are capable of social interaction will feel comfortable around people and will be able to lead others. Those who don’t have these skills are left with a lack of initiative.
Parents, who support their children to be initiative, develop purpose and set goals and work toward it. In case the parents punish them for being initiative they develop a sense of guilt. But in case of too much purpose and no guilt, the child develops ruthlessness.
I was a big introvert so social interaction was not my piece of cake. But my parents encouraged me to take part in every activity so that I interact with the others and become a little bold. I became initiative as I grew older and this now helps me find some purpose and set goals and work towards it. It also helps me intermingle with strangers at some point.


INDUSTRY V/S INFERIORTY


According to Erickson a child must tame its imagination and tries to please others. Through social interaction the children begin to have confidence in their skills and develop competence.
If the child is supported then the children develop competence. Too much of competence or too much of inferiority develops either shallowness or makes the child helpless.
In my case, as I my social interaction was not too much, I never developed competence.
My parents would praise me and support me in my work; this helped me have confidence in my skills. The circumstances and my friends forced me to be competent in nature as I grew older.

IDENTITY V/S CONFUSION

During adolescence, teens develop and idea about their strengths, gender roles, sexuality, goals. But they also face an identity crisis and use their friends to reflect back to reflect back on them. Those who resolve this crisis, develop a sense of independence and control. Those who are stuck in this stage and try out various kinds of identities and are not sure about their beliefs will result in being insecure and uncertain about their future.
Initially I took time to figure out my strengths and weaknesses. My parents always encouraged me to be independent and think for myself. In other words they wanted me to learn from my experiences. I never used my friends to figure out my identity. I was also never affected by what the world thought about me and I am still not affected. I have a strong sense about my self and my beliefs. I believe that if my parents weren’t supportive and would insist that I do as they say I don’t think I would be able to figure out my true identity, in other words they did not wish to spoon feed me about everything in my life.

Sources cited

http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/person/erikson.html
http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/psychosocial_2.htm
http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/person/erikson.html

Pictures

http://inst.santafe.cc.fl.us/~mwehr/Personality/erikson2.jpg

No comments: