Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A personal reflective journal on Adler’s inferiority/superiority complex and compensation


Adler’s early views were shaped by his interest in organic dysfunctions and the implications of Darwinian Theory. These influences led to a notion of inferiority and subsequent attempts of compensation. According to him inferiority is the notion that all children experience a sense of helplessness because of their size and dependence on others; the feeling can also be intensified by real or imagined physical defects, social rejection and the other factors. In turn, inferiority can lead to attempts at overcoming the perceived weakness (compensation); this process is motivated by the generalized drive which Adler called striving for superiority.

For Adler, the experience of childhood inferiority is the most important influence on the development of personality. Some individuals who are overwhelmed by early feelings of helplessness that they develop a lifelong sense of inferiority, called an inferiority complex. Others attempt to mask their weakness by pretending to feel superior, when inwardly they lack self- esteem, this is called superiority complex. Early experiences like having a major illness, being overly pampered, or being neglected can have a major impact on how the child views their own capacities, and on the child’s social interactions.

I never had a superiority complex but I definitely had an inferiority complex when I was really young (1st grade to 4th grade). I would have a very low self esteem as my cousins and friends were more sociable than I was. They were extremely smart and were good at almost everything. As they were so competent, I would feel let out, because of this I was never the centre of attraction as my other friends. My parents would be very supportive of me and would encourage me to improve my skills and take part in every activity. They helped me build my self- esteem and that is how I began to gain self- confidence. This made it possible for me to interact socially and make new friends and learn a lot of things from them.
Before this I had a major low self- esteem and would undermine my potential, this reflected clearly on my style of life. If I would have never overcome my inferiority complex then I would be living with it right now, hiding myself from everyone.

Sources cited

Glassman, William, and Marilyn Hadad. Approaches to Psychology. 4th
Pictures

Pictures

http://www.terrapsych.com/adlerb2.jpg

No comments: